Monday, February 9, 2015

What really happened on the day of the newborn pictures...

The original plan for newborn pictures was to have family pictures taken, then the big kids with Fin and then just Fin.  Well, that didn't quite work out.  The night before I woke up at 3 a.m. and sat straight up, unable to breathe. I was in the middle of a nightmare about Hudson and diabetes and assumed I was having a panic attack. I tried to lay back down to go to sleep and found I couldn't breath again. I sat up in bed and continued to sit up until 5 a.m. At 5, Trent woke up and had me fall back asleep propped up.  I slept that way for two hours and then woke up again unable to breathe because I was slumped over. I called the on call doctor and she (my wonderful NP) told me that I most likely had fluid on my lungs and I needed to get to the ER for a full work up. Clearly, family pictures were now out. Our sweet photographer walked into a MESS. I explained what was happening and she quickly told me to get to the hospital and she would take care of it all. (And she did - she even kept Fin so that Trent could take the big kids to school for Breakfast with Santa! She is AMAZING. And I am cracking up that Hudson and Harper didn't have a baby sitter until the day Fin was born and Fin had one at 5 days old :))

I wasn't able to drive, so my mom came to take me. Once there they did a full work up all right - blood work, EKG, chest X-ray. The blood work came back "elevated" so they did a CT scan (which was super fun - laying flat on my back unable to breathe) to rule out a pulmonary embolism and to check for fluid. Thankfully, there wasn't an embolism, but there was fluid!

They admitted me (much to my dismay - I spent the majority of the day sobbing). The ER doctor refused to admit me to the postpartum flood (the only way Finley could have come up) and I was admitted to the cardiac floor. I was by far the youngest one there and definitely the only one that wasn't a "fall risk". The ER doctor did a pretty good job of scaring me half to death and I spent most of the day in the dark (and again crying. Post partum hormones, exhaustion and missing your newborn are a bad combination).  Finally, the cardiologist came in at 6, he explained what was going on (I had fluid on my lungs. I needed lasix. I didn't have the really terrible, horrible thing the ER doctor said). He told me I was really going to hate him at 2 a.m., but I assured him I wasn't.

The big kids and Trent left and my mom came back. She spent the night with me (which I am so thankful for because I hated being alone there when I was there with Fin). I spent the entire night going to the bathroom (sorry - TMI) and in between watching Hallmark Christmas movies.  I lost 20 pounds of fluid by the next morning (which is why I looked so puffy in the coming home pictures!). And I felt a MILLION times better. I couldn't figure out why I wasn't bouncing back as fast as I normally did, but that was definitely why!

Trent sent me pictures of this pumpkin who I missed SO SO SO much!!!!

No comments: