Friday, July 15, 2011

Omaha Road Trip…Day 1

We started our trip on Saturday, July 1st.  We were well-stocked with snacks, juices, books and plenty of DVD’s! As already noted, we had Harper comfortable in her new seat! We were ready to go!  This was the last picture I took with my “big” camera:

DSC_3797

The rest of the pictures were with my camera phone and for some reason I cannot make them smaller.  Anyway, back in the pre-kids day we used to make this trip in ten hours.  Trent was very big into as few stops as possible and packing meals to come with us.  How times have changed.  A ten hour road trip now takes about 14 hours. It includes stops for all meals, stretch breaks and (for our newly potty trained 3 year old) at least 10 potty breaks.  Truthfully, I think towards the end Hudson was just using that to get out of the car because he sure doesn’t go to the bathroom that much during the day at home!

Anyway, we made our traditional stop for CFA chicken biscuits (or for our practically-a-vegetarian son, just a biscuit).  Hudson loves his headphones and blissfully watched movies most of the drive.  Did I mention neither kid napped? At all? For 14 hours?!  That’s right.

 

We took a stretch break at a McDonald’s in Wichita, Kansas (we didn’t eat there, I just bought a Diet Coke).  We had looked up reviews online for McDonald’s before we left.  That might sound crazy, but 2 years ago we spent an HOUR driving around Wichita looking for a McD with a playarea for Hud to run around in.  This McD got great reviews.  However, this was not one of their best days.  The a/c in the playarea didn’t seem to be working and it was quite humid.  However, Hud made a new friend and Harps got her solid. That is all that really matters. :)

This is a picture I snapped somewhere between Wichita and Omaha.  I love that Harper’s foot is reaching out for Hudson.  She is always trying to touch him when we are in the car. 9 times out of ten, he will hold her hand. They have the sweetest relationship, I just love it.

This is a picture I took when we were driving into Omaha.  I didn’t have to get in the backseat until after we had dinner in York, Omaha (which was around 8).  This amazed me. 14 hours in the car and BOTH kids were still laughing and smiling!  Such sweet, good travellers!!!

Day 2 coming…

No comments: