Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Camp Thurman!

This was Hudson's third year for Camp Thurman! It is his absolute favorite week of the summer. CT is such a wonderful place, the kids have so much fun and learn so much about Jesus while they are there.
This year, I was a little apprehensive. It was Hudson's first year to go since being diagnosed. The easiest thing would have been not to send him this year, but it wouldn't have been the right thing. That weekend (of diagnosis) we made a promise to not let anything hold him or our family back, and we are making good on that promise.
By God's grace, this was the first year they had a nurse on site. AND that nurse happened to work for our school district and is friends with our nurse. So, our (fantastic, unbelievable) nurse called her to let her know about Hud and to watch out for him.  Because we had a snow day MISD staff had to work on that Monday, so there was no nurse that day. Hud's counselor let me take a picture of their schedule, so I would know what they were doing at all times. I had my watch on to watch his sugars and he had his monitor on him as well. I was nervous, but Hud had no idea how nervous I was. I knew God would watch over him and I knew that he would take good care of himself as well. He is so responsible!  I dropped him off and walked him up so I could meet his counselor (who I had already spoken at length with as well and tried really hard not to overwhelm him). Here he was, ready to have a great week!


After swim lessons, I took the girls to my mom's house and then headed back to camp. Since the nurse wasn't there, I had to go give Hud his insulin. I was so happy to do that because I got to check in with him and see his happy face!! He was having such a fun day!




I stayed close by and kept my eye on my watch. He was rocking it:


The first thing he said to me when he got in the car at pick up was, "I did awesome, Mama". You can't ask for anything more than that. 


I am so proud of him. Diabetes is not going to stop him. We won't let it.




No comments: