Wednesday, May 6, 2015

How we are doing....


We are rapidly approaching six months since diagnosis. At times it feels like it has been forever since that horrible weekend in the hospital and other days it feels like yesterday. I don't re-live it every single night anymore like I did the first couple of months. Every once in a while it sneaks up and slaps me in the face all over again though.

Hudson is doing amazing. He has adjusted beautifully and could probably be the poster child for resiliancy. We have had a couple of moments with him, but they have been very few and far between.  He checks his sugar without issue and doesn't flinch when we give him a shot.  In a few weeks, we will attend pump class and hopefully he will be on a pump before too long. That will give him freedom back and will be so good for our little grazer. He wears his CGM all the time and is very responsible about letting someone know if he is low. I am so proud of him. We had a breakthrough moment at the park a few weeks ago. His monitor vibrated that he was low, he ran over and told me. I gave him some fruit snacks and he ate them and ran off. Proof that life goes on and we are rolling with it.

We have been through a whole lot of "firsts" over the past few months and have even more to come. But, we are getting through it, together - day by day.

There are times I get sad that Harper knows all of the terminology for Type One. I get sad that Fin will only know life with Hud having this. I get sad that Hud won't really remember life before either. But, it is what it is and I choose not to dwell on that.

One thing I have learned is that you can find community through all things. While I wouldn't have chosen this path for our family, I am certainly very grateful for the community that has come out of it.  

I used to have a really hard time with my kids growing up, milestones, etc. I have a completely different perspective on that now than I did six months ago. I realize now what a privilege and honor it is to get to see these kids grow up and it is not one I will ever take for granted again. Rather than mourn what has passed, I look forward to each moment with them, knowing it gets better and better and oh so grateful I get to be a part of it.

No comments: